monday night and tuesday were my sleep study. i had two sleep studies, i guess, really. monday night was a polysomnogram, and tuesday were multiple sleep-latency tests (how long does it take me to fall asleep? and do i dream when i do sleep?). things i didn't like about my sleep studies:
- wires and tubes in my nose and trying not to disconnect the zillions of wires connected to me from scalp to shin
- hospital food for breakfast and lunch. blech.
- gunk in my hair to stick the wires to my skin. i shampooed when i got home, but some of it remains. yuck.
- sleeping on a hospital bed. not as comfy as my wonderful king-sized bed at home.
- sleeping with light cotton blankets and flimsy disposable pillows instead of my kickass pillows at home plus blanket, comforter, and quilt (i like a cold room and lots of covers)
- sleeping without zuzu, chloe, and jack-jack snuggled around me. as much as i gripe about them folding me up into origami sleepy girl every night, they really do keep me warm, and their breathing is very soothing. except when chloe won't stop kneading. that gets annoying.
- being told when to sleep and when to wake up. apparently, i don't take orders well in these matters.
- not being able to use my usual comfort things to fall asleep. i have a weird thing i do where i put my hand, covered with a blanket, up to my mouth. if i can cover my upper lip, i am instantly soothed and will fall asleep quickly. i'm sure it's a holdover from thumbsucking. anyway, the wires and tubes in my nose blocked me from doing this (or, if i tried to, i'd end up moving the wies and tubes out of the way and the tech would come back in to put them in), and i swear that's a huge part of why i couldn't sleep.
so basically i didn't sleep well at all monday night--they wouldn't let me go to sleep until about 10:30, which is later than i usually do, and then i was so worried about hurrying up to fall asleep so they'd have lots of data that i couldn't fall asleep. and then tuesday i was so sleepy from not having slept well monday night that i didn't want to be awake at all, but i couldn't fall asleep when i was allowed to--still because i kept worrying that i wasn't falling asleep quickly enough. nice.
but this means that last night i slept like a LOG. zonk. did my nightly crossword puzzle, got into my usual position, and thud i was asleep. and i didn't wake up until andrew kissed me goodbye when he left for work. even then i was reluctant to get out of bed, but i knew that two cats would die of starvation if i did not get up and feed them.
so what i liked about my sleep study is my newfound appreciation for my bed and for sleeping.
while i was trying to fall asleep at the sleep center, i would try to picture sleepy things. pictures of animals sleeping that i'd seen online, or the sound of jack-jack purring, stuff like that. so when i got home, i started a pinterest board of those kinds of images. that way, next time i have trouble falling asleep, i can look at my pinterest board and be soothed to sleep.