yesterday was not my favorite day of food. these are things i learned:
1. broccoli is not a good substitute for greens in a smoothie. unless you want to drink broccoli-flavored goo. i tried really hard--i like all the ingredients in this smoothie, but together they made me gag. literally. i drank two large sips before having to admit defeat. so no greens in the morning for me, and that smoothie also had my flax seed for the day.
2. watercress is not as tasty with quinoa and adzuki beans, oil and vinegar, and salt and pepper as kale is. i like watercress, but i guess i usually have it as part of a salad with other greens? i don't know. it just wasn't good.
3. a fly stubbornly insisting that it is going to share that lunch with you can really spoil your appetite.
4. disliking breakfast and lunch to the point of not being able to stomach them makes for kind of a hungry day.
5. hilary's veggie bites for dinner can make up for a lot of food sadness. very satisfying and yummy, kind of like little hush puppies.
6. i'm going to have to either shop more frequently or buy frozen greens. fresh greens in the volume that i'm having to buy and eat them don't last a whole week.
7. someone needs to make a plant-centered refrigerator. huge crisper drawers, maybe root-vegetable drawers. built for this kind of eating. our fridge is kind of a chaotic mishmash at the moment.
today is already miles better. still the same quinoa breakfast thing is lasting me all week, but this morning's green smoothie is a berry smoothie, and it is YUMMY. of course, i think that some of that is because of the fact that the cultured coconut milk i bought is vanilla flavored and therefore has things in it that i haven't been eating recently, but i do not even care. it is so sweet and creamy and good. i have about five cups of it to drink today, and that is fine with me. later i'm planning to make either a soup with sweet potatoes or just eat a sweet potato all by its own self. friday, leah comes over to teach me to cook with some new-to-me ingredients, including miso, millet, buckwheat groats, and possibly avocado (blech). i'm trying to be open to trying new things, but i am a picky special snowflake supertaster, and that's difficult.
also preparing for a couple of meals out next week, which will be interesting while on the cleanse. dinner at root 174 (already left a message for the chef to talk about my restrictions) and lunch at the cafe at the frick (spoke with someone there last week about them--this will probably just be greens and oil and vinegar and salt and pepper, which is fine).
no progress on the skirt yesterday. work!